Inland canoes must have a license to fish in Liberia. All inland canoes are also required to be registered with the Bureau of National Fisheries.
The following are the steps required to license and register an artisanal canoe in Liberia:
- Obtain a copy of the artisanal canoe license and registration forms
- Application forms can be obtained free of charge from the BNF office, or can be downloaded here.
- Application forms are to be completed and returned to BNF for approval.
- Upon approval of the application forms, BNF conducts both canoe and fishing gear inspection.
- If fishing gears are in compliance with the 2012 Fisheries Regulations, applicants are required to pay L$2,000 as license fee per fishing canoe to 'Government of Liberia’ (GoL) to Ministry of Finance.
- Registration for the canoe requires a payment of LD$350 to the Special Fisheries Account at the Central Bank of Liberia.
- Registration and licensing documents are then issued upon proof of payment at the Bureau of National Fisheries.